On 3rd and 4th December 2018, the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC) in collaboration with the Tanzania Early Childhood Development Network (TECDEN) and Children in Crossfire (CiC) organized a National Multi Sectoral Early Childhood Development (ECD) Stakeholders’ Forum in Dodoma.
The overarching goals of the Forum were to revitalize National Multi Sectoral ECD dialogue and introduce the Nurturing Care Framework to government and partners.
- Provide snapshot of scientific evidence on ECD from the 2016 Lancet Series;
- Provide status snapshot of ECD implementation in Tanzania;
- Provide an Overview of the Nurturing Care Framework (NCF) and its implications to Tanzania;
- Share past and current practices in multisectoral coordination to inform the way forward for multisectoral coordination of ECD in Tanzania; and
- Recommend steps to be taken to propose a way forward for the revitalization of multisectoral coordination of ECD in Tanzania.
The Forum was attended by over 125 people encompassing representative from multiple ministries, international and local organizations, universities, national and international networks, and media.
Feb 2019: The organizers of the National Forum convened a meeting to review and validate the report from the December 2018 Forum. Participants agreed on a way forward for developing a multisectoral approach to early childhood development, along with a costed plan of action.
May 2019: The organizers of the National Forum convened a meeting to officialise the Early Childhood Development National Taskforce in Tanzania. Terms of reference for the Task Force were finalised and development began on a roadmap towards a plan of action around early childhood development.