Early childhood development in humanitarian standards and guidance documentsIn humanitarian response, practitioners often use humanitarian standards and sector-specific guidelines to standardize the planning, implementation, and evaluation of programming. While there have been some analysis of humanitarian standards and guidance, to our knowledge there has been no comprehensive review that analyzes existing humanitarian standards and guidance documents to identify alignment with ECD. To fill this gap, this study reviews 15 existing humanitarian standards and guidance documents and assesses the extent to which early childhood interventions and the needs of infants, young children, and caregivers are included.
The following recommendations emerged:
1. Strengthen attention to young children and caregivers, and add missing nurturing care elements in existing humanitarian standards and guidance documents;
2. Build on existing training opportunities to raise awareness and knowledge about ECD;
3. Develop complementary products to accompany standards;
4. Develop practical guidance on holistic ECD that covers all aspects of the Nurturing Care Framework;
5. Conduct additional consultations and research.
Organization: Moving Minds Alliance, UVA Humanitarian Collective
Web link: https://movingmindsalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/mma-ecdie_standards_and_guidance.pdf