Nurturing care for every newborn
Evidence has demonstrated clearly that the first hours, days and weeks after birth – the newborn period – are a precious time for a child’s survival, health and development. When cared for in a nurturing environment, babies not only survive, they are also helped to thrive. This Thematic Brief summarizes why nurturing care is essential for all newborns and uses the five components of nurturing care to describe what every newborn needs. It includes practical examples of creating nurturing environments for newborns, including those who are born too soon, small or sick, in India, Sweden, The Philippines, Colombia and Lebanon.
- Launch event of the thematic brief
- Network for improving quality of care for maternal, newborn and child health
- Child Health Task Force
- Join the QoC for MNCH Community of Practice
- Join the QoC subgroup of the Child Health Task Force
- PAHO article: Nurturing care, family involvement and quality care: keys to the survival of premature babies