On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared the COVID-19 outbreak a global pandemic. COVID-19 has spread to every corner of the world, with national borders closed; travel bans; quarantines; physical distancing; health and education systems overwhelmed; childcare, preschools, and schools closed; and the global economy nearly at a standstill. Young children and families are experiencing unprecedented challenges and disruptions to their lives with children at great risk of not reaching their full potential.
Now, more than ever, parents and caregivers have a pivotal role to play in protecting their children from stress and promoting their development, health, and well-being.
Now, more than ever, communities, governments and organizations must work together to ensure parents and caregivers get the support they need for themselves and their children.
Now, more than ever, children need nurturing care.
East Asia and the Pacific: young children and the pandemic
This report summarizes the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on children younger than 5 years and looks at how UNICEF country offices found solutions to ensure continued attention to nurturing care.
– UNICEF East Asia and the Pacific Regional Office
Rwanda: using radio to promote nurturing care during the pandemic
This implementation brief describes adaptations to the First Steps Intera za Mbere programme.
– USAID Momentum
Gindegi Goron: supporting young children’s development in Bangladesh
Learn how the International Rescue Committee supported nurturing care for ECD in Bangladesh during the pandemic.
– International Rescue Committee Understory Consulting
Impact of COVID-19 on responsive caregiving, opportunities for early learning and safety and security
Two briefs examine the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on three components of nurturing care: responsive caregiving, opportunities for early learning, and safety and security. A 4-page brief (available here) summarizes the findings of a rapid review of 112 scientific and scholarly article. A 9-page brief (here) describes the COVID-19 response strategies of 7 programmes worldwide.
– FHI360 and LEGO Foundation
Misalignment of global COVID-19 breastfeeding and newborn care guidelines with World Health Organization recommendations
This paper finds considerable inconsistency in guidance documents from 33 countries regarding breastfeeding and newborn care. None of the guidance documents reviewed recommended all aspects of WHO guidance. In this paper, health care providers from 62 countries share their experiences of caring for small and sick newborns during the COVID.-19 pandemic.
– Alive & Thrive Southeast Asia, FHI 360, Western Sydney University School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Innovators’ response to COVID-19: Lessons from four ECD programmes
This policy brief from Saving Brains explores how four programmes (aeioTU in Colombia, Mobile Creches in India, RTCCD in Vietnam and Ana Aqra in Lebanon) developed a unique response to COVID-19 that was creatively tailored to their community context, to their own capacities and circumstances, and to the content of their work.
– Saving Brains
Supporting children and caregivers in the context of COVID-19
Five practical steps health and social services can take to support babies, toddlers and the people who care for them during the Covid-19 pandemic, with examples from more than 20 countries.
– Bernard van Leer Foundation
Tshwaragano ka Bana – Working together for children
UNICEF South Africa, the Department of Social Development, the Department of Basic Education and the LEGO Foundation have developed easy to understand early learning activity sheets for parents and caregivers of children birth to 5 years.
– UNICEF South Africa
Re-orienting nurturing care for ECD during COVID-19 in Kenya
This review aims to deepen understanding of the effects of COVID-19 on nurturing care, looking at the case of young children in Kenya. It draws on evidence from previous pandemics and epidemics, and anecdotal and emerging evidence from the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, to propose strategies for the re-orientation of nurturing care.
– Shumba, C et al
Several organizations are compiling and updating resource lists with relevant evidence, guidance, tools, and practical examples to ensure nurturing care for all children and supports to parents and caregivers remains a priority.
• Early-childhood focused resources for parents, educators, administrators, child protection workers, health practitioners, and policymakers
• COVID-19 and early childhood development in low- and middle-income countries: A research roundup
• Research priorities for early childhood development in the context of COVID-19: Results of an international survey
– Early Childhood Development Action Network
A compendium of resources that brings together the latest evidence-based information on women, children and adolescent health in the context of COVID-19
– The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health
Information, updates and interviews with experts on issues related to women, children and adolescent health
– Every Woman Every Child
• Q&A on COVID-19, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding
• FAQS: Breastfeeding and COVID-19 for health care workers
• Questions and Answers: COVID-19 vaccines and pregnancy
• Guiding principles for immunization activities during the COVID-19 pandemic
• Mental health and psychosocial considerations during the COVID-19 outbreak
– World Health Organization
How to support children (and yourself) during the COVID-19 outbreak
– Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University
Ways to promote children’s resilience to the COVID-19 pandemic
– Child Trends
Infant and young child feeding recommendations when COVID-19 is suspected or confirmed
– USAID Advancing Nutrition
15 ways to support young children and their families in the COVID-19 response
– World Bank Group
• Caring for the caregiver during the COVID-19 crisis
• Family-friendly policies and other good workplace practices in the context of COVID-19: Key steps employers can take
• Coronavirus (COVID-19) guide for parents
Recommendations for the management of maternal and child malnutrition prevention and treatment in the context of COVID-19
– World Food Programme
Key tips and discussion points for community workers, volunteers and community networks
– IFRC, UNICEF, WHO
Technical note: Protection of children during the COVID-19 pandemic
– The Alliance for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action
Protection of children during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Children and alternative care
– Better Care Network, The Alliance for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action
Promoting healthy movement behaviours among children during the COVID-19 pandemic
– The Lancet, Child and Adolescent Health
COVID-19 in pre-existing humanitarian crises
– Moving Minds Alliance
Position statement: Five priority actions to protect, support and strengthen the early childhood workforce
– Early Childhood Workforce Initiative
ARNEC statement on COVID-19
– Asia-Pacific Network for Early Childhood
Time to re-think our societies and economies – Why we need to prioritise early childhood
– Eurochild, International Step by Step Association, Roma Education Fund and the European Public Health Alliance
21 leaders’ call for action to protect children from violence and abuse during COVID-19
– End Violence Against Children
A joint statement on early childhood development and COVID-19
– Early Childhood Development Action Network and partners
ANECD statement in response to COVID-19 crisis – Arabic version
– Arab Network for Early Childhood Development
Maintaining MNCH services during COVID-19: Lessons from 19 countries
– Dept Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health and Ageing, WHO
COVID-19: Ensuring safe breastfeeding and newborn care
– ECDAN & PMNCH with the Nurturing Care Coordinating Team
Responses to COVID-19 in eastern and southern Africa
– Conrad N. Hilton Foundation and Stellenbosch University
• Nurturing care for children during and beyond COVID-19: Focus on health and nutrition
• Nurturing care for young children during and beyond COVID-19
• How young children cope with anxiety, fear and stress
– Asia-Pacific Regional Network for Early Childhood
• COVID-19 and early childhood development
• COVID-19 and child protection
• Responses to COVID-19 in Latin-America (Spanish language)
– Early Childhood Action Development Network
COVID-19 and maternal and child health
– Every Woman Every Child
Investing in our future: Nurturing human capital in a COVID complex world
– ECDAN, ChildFund International, the Global Campaign for Education-US, Light for the World, PATH, Save the Children International and UNICEF
We are seeking practical examples of how you are advancing nurturing care in your communities, organizations, and governments. Tell us your story. Write to: NurturingCare@who.int or complete the form here.
Twitter accounts to follow and retweet from:
Learning through play campaign toolkit
– LEGO Foundation
Coronavirus – COVID-19: social media toolkit
– End Violence Against Children
Parenting in the time of COVID-19
– Parenting for Lifelong Health
COVID-19 parenting- Public service announcements
– Parenting for Lifelong Health
The twelve COVID-19 parenting tips posters are available in 50+ languages here: http://covid19parenting.com/